Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Caring for elderly alcoholic mother

She is a special person which is what makes it so horrible. But I guess that's what happens with any addiction... it takes over and changes people.

I've thought about writing her a letter which you did suggest awhile ago.

I'm worried she would take it as a personal attack because she is a stubborn woman and really believes her behaviour is fine. She's in this mindset of she should be able to do what she wants and we should just accept it but she's also hurting.

But maybe I should start that letter and see how I go. At the very least it might help me to get it all on paper

I’m so glad you have your little one and partner @Jenny88 . They probably bring great joy to your life while you support your dear mum.

Its good you have happy memories of your child hood and hopefully you can remind your mum of that.

My dad was a much better grandfather than he was a parent and my kids have good memories of him.

I wonder if it's just needing to continually speak to her about how much you appreciate her and you want what's best for you? @Jenny88 

Also, do you think there is a driving factor in her drinking? ie. a root cause?

I hear how much you want her to recover.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm