Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Walking for Wellness

Was unable to walk for over a week. Did a short walk with difficulty today. The park bench I used to rest on sometimes has been taken away while the park is relandscaped 

Ohh hugs @Dimity. ❤️

What a shame they took the bench away 😕 that must of been hard 

Haven't really walked for 3 weeks. Only managed to get to the corner today. Hoping to improve. But surgery for that is at least 3 months away. 

I miss the exercise and fresh air.

Awwww @Dimity . Sorry to hear. Not being able to walk far is like taking one's independence.

I used to love walking, but when I developed arthritis in my feet, walking was so painful. It saddened be that I had to really find other ways to stay well despite getting as much treatment as I could.

One step at a time hun.

Sitting with you.

Thanks @tyme yes you're spot-on re independence.  I've figured out online groceries but still working out other things.

Sorry to hear about your feet, it must be painful and difficult for you. And finding good shoes that fit is hard enough at the best of times.

It's annoying. As i said, it takes away all your independence! And when people see you hobbling, they ask questions and that's the last thing I want. 

I wear special shoes with specially made orthotics. I've tried injections in the joint but it didn't work. Tried meds too... 

Oh well, I'll just have to be creative and find other ways to exercise. I was considering a desk cycle. The ones you put under your desk while you work, and you cycle away... @Dimity 

Only thing is, I don't want to spend all the money, go through a fad, and then let it gather dust. I have to make sure it's a worthwhile investment....

Do you know any other low-resistance exercises?

Oh! I have to mention, the park at the end of the court I live in has just been renovated. It's got a circuit there now with exercise equipment. So I've been going there as much as possible to work on some strengths exercises to help with bone and muscle health.

@tyme all I can think of is swimming and I can't swim.

My independence will be compromised worse if there's problems with my eye surgery in 6 weeks..

My cat has arthritis injections of something the vet said is so good there were going to be human trials (it was originally for dogs). 

Good on you for using the local park.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm