Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Panda2
Casual Contributor

Adult child post psychosis

Hi all,

My adult child is living with us,ie both his parents following discharge from hospital after psychosis episode. 

My child was in hospital for around 4 months and is on a antipsychotic injection.

Now sleeping huge hours, eating a fair bit and then lying down watching tv. My child is not motivated to do anything including talking to anyone for support. I have suggested supports ie gp, counsellors, social groups, but there is no interest. My feeling is to just be here for support as requested, but it seems to me that depression is occuring on an increasing daily rate.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Adult child post psychosis

Hi @Panda2 ,

It sounds like your child has been really acutely unwell to have been in hospital for so long. The injection can cause people to find it very hard to get up and do things. As the injection wears off, and they finally feel they can do something, then it's time for the next injection.

Have you spoken to your child's treating team about your concerns? 

As a parent, it is understandable you want your child to seek help. At the same time, I recognise that it is terribly difficult when you have been under a lot of medication for so long. 

I hope your child is able to find a balance somewhere.

Please look after yourself.

Thank you for response. Yes I do understand the fortnightly injections are making my child very tired, and unmotivated. 

I will have further contact with the case manager, and hope that with time hopefully as the injection does is reduced the motivation and energy will increase. I just worry about depression overtaking the recovery.

Hi @Panda2 

Unfortunately anti-psychotics are known to have these sorts of effects on people but they are important for treatment! 

Is there anything interesting your child? could you get them to leave the house to see a movie, get a coffee, go for a walk?

Hi @Panda2 ,

How are you travelling?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for support posts.

Yes I'm doing ok. I hope to get some more carer support counseling soon.

I have discussed and suggested some small activities and supports that may be considered. 

Thank you again

Hi Panda2,

I'm a GP with a 22 year old son with sz, on my own, no family around other than my ageing mother abroad with dementia issues who intermittently blames me for everything, like my son does when I try to reason with him.

I've learned a lot about this condition over the past few years. 

It's complicated and enormously challenging.

If your boy doesn't do drugs he is in a good place, having both parents around.

There are good books worth reading about the condition, what works, what doesn't.

Also about "Anosognosia"

Once you know more about it it's still chaotic and challenging.

It's a lonely place for those affected by the illness and their carers.

There is a FB peer group "Families of Schizophrenia Support Group", though mostly American members. First time I really felt understood in this crazy nightmare.

Counselling doesn't work for me. It's the same thing, over and over again. Basically get a hobby, try to laugh anyway, exercise, meditate, Yoga, Awareness etc.

That's all you can do. And love your Son xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm