Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Missymoo2
New Contributor

My adult son has been sectioned

He has no diagnosis. He had a breakdown at home. Went to the hospital. They sent him to bigger hospital. He was asked if he wanted to be voluntary or involuntary. He said voluntary. But they sectioned him anyway. This is second hand info and may not be quite correct. He is locked up. How does this help him to recover?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: My adult son has been sectioned

Hey @Missymoo2 ,

I'm so sorry this has happened. It must be a very difficult situation for both of you and all those involved.

I hear that he went in as a voluntary patient and has now been sectioned. Usually, this happens if the person wants to leave, but the doctors do not feel the person is safe enough to do so.

I have many experiences of this. I hear how distressing it is for you.

Are you able to contact the hospital to ask about what's happening?

If he’s being held, they can start to rule out some illnesses that it could be and keep him physically safe at this point. If you’re his next of kin then you can ring the hospital to ask for more information and to see if he’d like you to get him anything from home, like toiletries, a change of clothes, a favourite tea or a jumper.

Hey @Missymoo2 ,

How are you today? How's your son?

Hope you've been able to get some more answers.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm