Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday//Designing your online world//Tues. 16 Jan. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

@Former-Member For me, staying at least a little bit connected in Forum Land is important because I don't have any other social contacts. I know I have become much more withdrawn in recent weeks due to a major event and I have to push myself to come into Forum Land. However, I feel that staying connected is super important. 

It's such a temptation, isn't it, @Lonely_Together? I do the same. Get into a conversation then watch it spread and fill up my notifications. Gah!

@Former-MemberI hardly watch the news anymore and have stopped following all the news pages on facebook. There are just too many triggers there. I have very little friends on facebook and don't really use much other social media. When I am struggling, I find staying connected to SANE forum helps. In sayig that when I am extremely distressed close my laptop and use my strategies I need to use in order to stay safe.

Besides professionals or my hubby, I don't speak to anyone IRL. I hardly see my friends anymore, pushed them all away.

@Phoenix_RisingIt's certainly not cool if you're not prepared for it or haven't agreed to it! But I've found it can be quite empowering to own & share my story - I just need to be very considered in how I do that. And mindful that references to that presentation can exist way beyond when the actual speaking is over...

Turning off triggery stimulus is such a wise move, @Former-Member. The Forums are such a terrific place to be when other parts of the net are stressful.

Part of hiding I have to admit is due to feeling insignificant and failing due to current life circumstances. Currently jobless and no confidence about changing that any time soon + little positives to share on the family front. Fear of  Stigma and judgement being a biggie. 

Connection is so important, @Phoenix_Rising -- it's one of the things the online world is so good at. Glad you're coming back.

@Lonely_Together Yep, it was a learning experience for me. I had no issue at all standing up and sharing my story at the conference, but it hadn't occurred to me that my name would be immortalized in that way on the internet! 

I have found sane forums invaluable for connecting with people, being able to share anonymously makes it so much easier to be honest. Also people with shared experiences are so much more understanding. 

@Determinedcouldn't agree with you more. Exaclty how I feel 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm