Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Loneliness in smaller communities // Tues 26th March, 7pm AEDT

partners-26thmarch-TT.png

Living in smaller communities can be aligned with so many wonderful things. You might be near nature, enjoy the comfort of familiar faces or perhaps relish in more down time.

On occasion, living within smaller communities can sometimes lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness, especially for young Australians. This Topic Tuesday our Community Manager @nashy will facilitate an engaged and open conversation around some of the peaks and troughs of life within smaller communities as we work through mental health symptoms. 

*NB This event originally featured a special guest, due to external circumstance this event will now be facilitated by the Forums Community Manager. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

51 REPLIES 51

Re: Topic Tuesday // Loneliness in smaller communities // Tues 26th March, 7pm AEDT

Hello to the wonderful @Former-Member  @TAB @Exoplanet  @Hope4me  and @Razzle! Thank you so much for supporting this event, I think it will be a good one 🙂

Just a heads up we have moved the date of this event to Tues March 26th Heart Look forward to seeing you here then.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Loneliness in smaller communities // Tues 26th March, 7pm AEDT

Good evening everyone 😄 Welcome to tonight's Topic Tuesday!

For those members who wanted a reminder of tonight’s event a VERY special welcome to you Heart

@outlander  @PeppiPatty  @JLR  @Former-Member  @TAB  @Exoplanet  @Hope4me  @Razzle  @Sim1 

For those that haven’t been involved in a Topic Tuesday before, I'll be raising some questions for you to consider. There’ll be around 10-15 minutes for everyone to respond to each question. This is a forum for peer support and discussion so don’t hesitate to jump in and get involved by answering or adding to the discussion!

I will allow a few minutes for everyone to settle in then I will be kicking off the first question 🙂

Alright time to kick off for those who are about 🙂

For those who have lived or are currently living in Smaller Communities - What are some of the major challenges you find in living in a smaller community whilst managing the symptoms of mental illness?

200.gif

Hi,
Accessing professional support (i.e. i saw psychiatirist via video link up and now therapist via skype).
Meeting new people
Stigma and lack of understanding of mh in general within country communities.

Hey @Former-Member  welcome!

You've raised a pretty good point already around professional support. How do you find engaging in therapy via skype? Do you find it is a lack of options or waiting lists? Thank you so much for sharing this Heart I think it's really awesome that the internet can offer us something when we live in these smaller units.

hello all @nashy  and @Former-Member 

sometimes the lack of variety and i feel like everyone knows everything in smaller places

Hi @nashy  hope it’s ok for me to join in. 

I live in a small community. The problem is everyone knows everyone. 

also agreed @Former-Member  on stigma

@nashy  @Lauz   Unable to stay tonight unfortunately. I do have a mental illness and I do live in a small rural community, so I am interested in what is said here tonight. I will read back through when I can. @Starta  this is one you may find of particular interest.

Sherry 😀

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm