Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

I have also been through EMDR in therapy which was very good.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Thanks @Adge for this comment. What some people don't realise is how easily normal day-to-day stresses (that don't really bother some folks) can trigger PTSD symptoms in those who have the injury. Like you say, you become hyper-vigilant from the unpredictability of work.

Hi all. Sorry for late intro. Trying to get the kids into bed at the same time. I'm here as my husband has work related PTSD

Thanks @NikNik and hello @DeanYates. Hi everyone else here.

I personally have PTSD (22 years) and I care for my husband who has PTSD from Military Service in Vietnam.  I'm also prime contact for my brother who has PTSD.

Sherry

Welcome @Hillsy

I have had all the same problems @Soozasaur

If I go to a busy, noisy place, I always take headphones that cancel out about 80 percent of the noise. I listen to music instead. That helps calm me. It prevents me from being startled, for example when a toddler starts screaming in a supermarket.

The problem for folks with PTSD is that they often don't want to be around other people, especially folks who stress them -- like family. This has happened to me on several occasions. My wife now has a rule -- any family with kids who visit us have to stay in a B&B, not at our house. I find it too stressful.

At the same time, it's important not to let someone with PTSD isolate themselves too much, as we really need social contact, we really need a support network.

Do people know your partner has PTSD? Is he happy to talk about it?

Welcome @Former-Member

@DeanYates@Lauz @NikNik I have undergone prolonged exposure therapy 3 years ago - Urgh.  EMDR last year.  Still cant seem to get over it. Not currently on meds. For me it was a rape situation.  My husband, military service, has had no therapy other than 3 monthly psychiatrist chat plus medication. 

I may be here a bit and need to go, so please excuse me if I cant stay for long.  I will catch up with everything afterwards if I miss it live.

Sherry

Being a stubborn man @Eagle is one reason. But I also never believed that I would get PTSD. I always thought that mentally, I was a very strong individual. I was wrong

It comes in waves for my husband. Sometimes he doesn't mind talking to people about it, other times he won't speak of it. He doesn't talk about it with people we have just met - he wants them to meet the real  'him' before they jump to preconceived ideas when they hear he has PTSD. He barely speaks to his family about it - they are not supportive at all

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm