Skip to main content

Forums

Re: Topic Tuesday//Designing your online world//Tues. 16 Jan. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

So great to hear, @Determined. Finding people who understand is a bit magic, I think.

Next topic, and this is a big one for me:

Managing FOMO

FOMO is the Fear Of Missing Out – that sense that when you’re offline, you might be missing something great on social media, or get left behind socially. I get it bad.

To reframe the thought, I think: actually, when I’m offline, I’m not missing out of them, they’re missing out on me!

It works ... mostly. How do you tame the fear of missing out?

Me too @Determined Smiley Happy

Sorry , have to go @Former-Member, @Former-Member, but will read it all later xx

No worries, @Shaz51, thanks for coming!

@Former-Member I work hard at limiting how much time I'm online. For example, I aim to leave Forum Land at 9:30pm. 

@Phoenix_Rising   I've also had issues with mental health services or events wanting to take photos (often to use on social media) and I'm always worried that I have no idea who could see them.  I'm comfortable with a certain degree of disclosure, including on my own FB page, but I don't always want to be used for de-facto marketing purposes when I have no idea what the reach of their online publications is or who might end up seeing it!  (And I know they usually technically have legal consent to share photos - such as in the fine print when you register for a conference or whatever, but that doesn't make it okay... And sometimes there is subtle pressure to agree or to sign a photo consent form & if you're feeling vulnerable that day it can be hard to be assertive!) 

@Former-Member so true, when I unplug from social media everyone misses me more than I miss them. But withdrawal is important when I can no longer manage my life, and it's out of control. So sometimes I'll stay loosely connected being present under likes

this is a big one for me too @Former-Member! Like a few of you have said here, the fear of missing out can also be clouded by this pressure to be online, bit of a cycle for me personally! @Sans911 @Phoenix_Rising keeping structure and noticing your own needs first is really great

@Phoenix_Rising That's a really good discipline. I have had to ban my phone from the bedroom to stop me sneakily checking updates after I'm supposed to be logged off Smiley Surprised

I like that idea of being 'loosely connected', @Sans911. Kind of a more casual thing. I tend to be either all the way on or all the way off -- I'm gonna try that!Smiley Very Happy

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm