Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

birdbrain
New Contributor

Partner accepted and opened up about delusions and hallucinations

Hi all,

My partner recently opened up about the delusions and hallucincations she's been experiencing her whole life. We have made an appointment with her GP for Monday to start the process of finding help for her. For now, though, she's still struggling and I'd really love some advice on how to support her when she starts hearing voices or starts experiences delusions.

As of now she doesn't have any coping mechanisms, so if you have any advice on strategies that have worked for the loved ones in your life I would really appreciate learning about them.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Partner accepted and opened up about delusions and hallucinations

Hey @birdbrain 

I hope that you can find the advice and support that you need on the SANE Forums 

Thank you so much for sharing what you and your partner are experiencing right now. It is really sweet that you are reaching out for some support around it for them. 

Does your partner currently see a mental health professional? Or if the GP appointment their first one?

Sitting with you,

amber22

Hello @birdbrain 

@amber22 

Yes I was married to someone who took years to admit to me he has delusions and hallucinations. We were both 42 years old. Before we both decided to begin a relationship, I knew of his diagnosis. His life had been twisty and tough as someone with chronic paranoid schizophrenia. 

I think the first thing is to put a safety plan down with no drama - just until you both see the correct medical people. I used to have a piece of paper on the wall for my ex to read if he felt out of control. 

It wrote ; 

Keep Peppy Patty safe.

1. Look in the mirror 

2. Look at your hair 

3. Get a comb 

4 comb your hair 

5 have a good hair day !

Perhaps you could put something in place like ensuring the front door keys are accessible if a situation becomes hairy. 

You are going to be caring for someone who is unsure of herself. Whether these are proper hallucinations and delusions or not, this poor person could be scared. By making sure you are safe with your partner, there could foster good feelings of security and relief that could feel between you both. 

I'm sorry you are both dealing with something which is scary and tough. Perhaps your partner just needs to rest this weekend before you both see the GP.? Maybe you need to as well ? 

Being gentle is a good way to handle the weekend ?? 

My husband and I had 10 years of a wonderful marriage. I joined Sane to get support be cause our relationship got scary when we turned 52 years old. 

We are still best friends. 

Hi @birdbrain 

How are you going? 

I thought I'd check-in with you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mornington Victoria 3931

Contact
Phone: 1300 MENTIS (1300 636 847)
info@mentisassist.org.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 5:00pm